Saturday, January 3, 2015

Winter Break

How did two weeks fly by so quickly?  Now that I'm in the "real world" doing grown up stuff, I always forget and take for granted how nice it is to be a student and have a real holiday.   Luckily, I happen to work at a University which means I still get my two weeks holiday (but I still envy my parents and their retired life).  Literally, those two weeks flew by in a blink of an eye!  I spent my time sleeping, meeting up with friends, more sleeping, lots and lots of eating, and some more sleeping.

Back before the Europe trip, my friend and I went to a travel show and she played a game and won VIP tickets to the maple leaf lounge at the airport.  I couldn't believe she won something, so I in turn entered every single contest there, whether it was for a free flight or for free yoghurt.  I happened to win two tickets to anywhere in the states but Hawaii, but my family's initial intent to use it during the break backfired when we realized there was a blackout period.  Since I had to go to work, my parents used the tickets and went to Arizona instead *sad face*.... this is apparently how Arizona looks in December.  


Grand Canyon
Grand Canyon
Grand Canyon

So. Incredibly. Jealous. I think I need to go enter some more contests.  

Well...actually okay, I did.  So back when this happened pre-May, after winning the tickets I got excited that I won something, and entered some (all) online contests.  Somehow I won a family pass to the new(ish) Ripley's Aquarium downtown! We used those tickets near the beginning of the break which was really fun...lots of fish.  We may or may not have gone for sushi after.... 

ripley's aquarium
ripley's aquarium
ripley's aquarium
ripley's aquarium
ripley's aquarium
ripley's aquarium
ripley's aquarium
ripley's aquarium
I also went to the Toronto Christmas Market for the first time this year which I probably should have done the past couple of years as well.  We made the mistake of going the last weekend before the market closed down (oops).  It was REALLY packed, we had to line up to get in!  Not making that mistake again!  Overall, I was really surprised, it was really nice, and bigger than I expected.  Definitely going again next year, maybe closer to the beginning of winter.  My pictures didn't quite turn out - I blame the crowds ;) 


toronto christmas market

And that was my break in a nutshell!  Happy 2015!!!!!

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment